Last week Matt and I babysat together for the first time. My dear friends Tom and Kim had tickets to see Book of Mormon and needed a sitter for their daughter Maddie. Maddie is 7 months old and completely adorable. She loves to smile, laugh and climb all over you. But she also will let you know when she’s not a happy camper.
To be honest, it had been about 5-7 years since I had last babysat. And those kids were definitely older than seven months. I don’t think I had babysat an infant in over 10 years! But, to my credit and for the record I did go through a babysitter’s course at the hospital when I was 11 for what it’s worth….
Anyway, here’s a list of what Matt and I learned in our adventures of babysitting Maddie:
- Never disturb a happy baby – if she likes bouncing up and down, just let her bounce up and down and don’t move her!
- The tabs on diapers these days go in the back…not the front.
- Walking around gently bouncing up and down will calm an unhappy baby.
- Infants like crazy things such as spatulas.
- Sometimes you just have to let them cry.
- Changing a diaper is a lot harder to do when a child is less than in a stellar mood.