I’ve fallen behind on my posting this Fall! In the throws of the beginning to a busy school year at a new job I have been doing fun things and celebrating fun people (I swear, though my lack of posting hasn’t always proven it!). Spinning off of my previous post today, I wanted to share a fun gift idea with you readers. Y’all know that I don’t always like to buy things off someone’s bridal registry (I’ve posted about this in the past when I shared some homemade wedding gifts). If it’s something I’m excited about giving I’m all about it (think toasting flutes, eccentric home accessories, festive colored home goods, or baking supplies). But if it’s something traditional and ordinary I just don’t want to do it (I’ll let your great aunt buy you your towels, thank you). I know that those left over registry items are practical, but I like to be excited to see you open your gift.
I can’t take full credit for this gift idea, since my creative and artsy friend Melanie really got the ball rolling on this one. Melanie, our friend Laura, and I were talking about a fun thing we could gift Becky (whose shower I baked the Sea Breeze cupcakes in the last post for) and her fiancee for their wedding shower. Melanie had mentioned that she found Moscow Mule copper mugs on Groupon, and Laura and I couldn’t help but jump right on that bandwagon! Since our friends enjoy Moscow Mules, and Becky actually introduced us to them poolside last summer, we thought it’d make a perfect unique, crowd-pleasing gift.
Our package ended up including:
- A set of 4 copper mugs (these can be pricey…Crate and Barrel is selling them right now for a reasonable price, and they do pop up now and again on Groupon for a good deal, so keep your eyes peeled)
- A bottle of Absolut
- A 4-pack of ginger beer
- A lime, for the heck of it
- A circular drink serving tray
- A King Cube ice tray, for those large cubes that keep your drink cold without making it watery, so our friends could get the full ‘bar’ experience
- A copper measuring shot glass, or “jigger” as they’re sometimes called
Now the soon-to-be newlyweds have a shiny new toy to toast to their love and happiness!
If you’re unfamiliar with a Moscow Mule, the recipe usually includes:
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. lime juice
- ginger beer to top off your copper mug
- a lime wedge