This past weekend I stood up as the maid of honor in one of my closest friend’s weddings! I took the week before to help out with special projects and one of my favorites was a homemade photobooth. To be fair there was no actual booth, but the other bridesmaids and I created a similar concept for a smaller cost than a traditional booth. Here are the materials we used to put the backdrop together:
-2 sets of curtains
-Two large pieces of tulle
-2 strands of Christmas lights
We researched a bunch of different options to be the backdrop to the photobooth. There were PVC pipe structures, plywood structures, paper streamers, and a curtain setups. We ended up choosing the curtain option because we thought it would be the simplest and still look professional.
First we had to measure the space we were allowed to use in the venue. We decided on 5 feet across and 7 feet tall. We were very lucky that they had no problem with us using 3M hooks on the wall. We used three heavy duty hooks that were rated to hold 5 lbs each (two on each end and one in the middle). Definitely don’t want the whole thing falling on someone’s head! We placed the curtains on the rod and hung the whole thing up on the hooks. We started hanging the lights vertically up and down the curtain and used safety pins at the top to secure the wire in place. I will note that this was the most time consuming part of the project. Also because our Christmas lights were a green wire and we had a cream background we ended up flipping the whole thing around so the lights were behind the curtain. If you had white wire it might have been okay to sandwich the lights between the curtain and tulle instead of at the back. We draped the tulle over the top of the rod and arranged it at the floor in a bunch. I was unsure if the tulle would be necessary, but in the end I think it made the look a little softer. The last thing we added were the paper pennants. I found these at Michaels and they look like a chalkboard although they are just paper. We had purchased a chalk marker for the wooden sign you see pictured above and it was perfect for this. I tried my best to design some chalkboard letters and wrote out their names and the year ahead of time. When we were putting the photobooth together we used twine to string the pennants into two different strands and tied them to the ends of the curtain rods. Then we stood back and hoped the lights would show up when it was dark.
We were lucky to be able to leave the booth set up in the space so we actually put it together at the rehearsal dinner and left it up for the wedding the next day. When we were able to get into the room, we plugged in the lights and it looked amazing! I could not get over how professional it looked. The other bridesmaids had worked on procuring and crafting props for everyone to use for pictures. Since the bride is American and the groom English, they had a lot of fun coming up with funny props to fit those themes. Cowboy hats and crowns, flags and tea cups. The list goes on and I think everyone had a ton of fun with all the choices available. I was very glad the bride and groom asked for our help and we could create the vision they had for their big day!